What is Carbon Monoxide?

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, or CO, can build up to dangerous levels if fuel-burning appliances are not operating properly or safely venting fuel combustion by-products.

It has no odor, no color and no taste. Because it combines with the body's blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen, carbon monoxide can cause serious illness and, in extreme cases, can be fatal.


Identifying High Levels of Carbon Monoxide

Environmental Indicators:

  • Extremely stuffy, stale air
  • Water condensation dripping on the inside of windows


  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Coughing
  • Ringing in the ears
  • Spots before the eyes
  • Reddened skin color


If you notice any of these warning signs, get outside to fresh air and get to the doctor immediately.


Prevent Carbon Monoxide problems in your building.

Learn More

Already a Liberty Utilities customer? Create an account and learn about your online payment options.