Many electrical injuries could be prevented if people were alert to hazards.
Personal protective equipment is your first line of defense against shock and electrical burns. PPE could save your life.
Overhead power lines, which are located high off the ground for safety, have no insulation and can carry more than 500,000 volts. Substations and transformers contain "live" parts that are dangerous to contact. Underground power lines are well-insulated, but a shovel can damage them and create a shock hazard.
Electricity always seeks the shortest path to the ground. It tries to find a conductor, or something that it can pass through to get to the ground, like metal, wet wood or water. Your body is about 70 percent water, so that makes you a good conductor, too. For example, if you touch an energized bare wire or faulty appliance while your feet are touching the ground, electricity will automatically pass through you to the ground, causing a harmful or even fatal shock.
Most electrical fires can be traced to overheated circuits and overloaded equipment. When abused, insulation may melt or burn, exposing live wires. Electrical fires can also occur when equipment is driven beyond capacity, or accumulated oil and dirt overheat a motor, or sparks ignite scraps, dirt, dust, or flammable liquids.
Visualize your plan of response in a fire, so you can move quickly if one happens.
Take into account: